Although the holiday season is mainly filled with joy, it can bring on added emotions. With our social calendars filling up and pressure from families, the holidays can be taxing on our bodies. If you want to find better ways to manage the uptick in activity, here are the seven best self-care strategies this holiday season.
Focus on Physical Health
It is easy to forget about your own physical needs when preparing for the holiday season. I can’t emphasize enough the importance of making time to move for the ultimate self-care. The movement will help manage stress and protect you from developing a cold or other seasonal-related issues. Here are some more ideas to get you moving this holiday season.
- 5 Activities That Are a Great Workout Without Feeling Like it
- 10 Underrated Benefits of Walking For Exercise
- 5 Simple Ways to Make Time For Healthy Habits
Great nutrition goes hand in hand with moving more. For self-care during the holidays, it’s essential to counterbalance all of the festive foods and drinks. Focusing on nutrition will help boost your mood and give you the necessary nutrients to boost your immunity. Check out these healthy eating tips.
- 5 Natural Ways to Boost Immunity Now
- What is Vitamin D and 5 Benefits You Need to Know
- Why Gut Health is Important and 6 Ways to Improve it
Stress management is essential, especially in the winter months. When we have chronic high stress, it can manifest as weight gain or lowered immunity leaving us susceptible to the cold and flu. Here are some self-care strategies to help you manage stress.
- 7 Effective Strategies to Manage Stress
- Stress, Overeating, and What to Eat Instead!
- Emotional Eating: 5 Things You Need to Know
The human body is 60% water. Natural functions like sweating cause us to lose water daily, so it is important to replenish our stores. Water has vast benefits to help you stay healthy. With most of the holidays occurring in fall and winter temperatures, it can leave your skin dry and cracked. Proper hydration keeps your skin moisturized and youthful, so you look your best for the endless photos and video chats during the holidays.
- 7 Essential Reasons to Drink More Water
- 6 Clever Ways to Drink More Water
- The Top 10 Water-Rich Foods That Hydrate You
Practice Mindfulness and Gratitude
The power of gratitude is often overlooked. When things stress you out during the holidays, remember the reason for the season. It may sound cliche, but something as simple as changing your mindset can put you in a better mood. If you are not sure where to start, here are some self-care strategies for mindfulness and gratitude.
- 5 Proven Reasons Why Gratitude Improves Your Health
- 6 Ways to Achieve Wellness Through Self-care
- 7 Astonishing Reasons To Practice Yoga
Check-in with Your Mental Health
The holidays do bring joy but may also trigger mental health struggles. According to NAMI, 64% of people with a mental illness report worsening symptoms during the holidays. Especially dealing with the traumatic events of the past few years, you must check in with your mental health needs. Here are some self-care strategies for mental health.
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Mental Health Daily
- 4 Things You Need To Know About Mental Health Awareness
- 4 Ways Diet and Exercise Improves Mental Health
Make time for Yourself
One of the best self-care strategies we forget is making time for what we want to do. It is easy to fill up our social calendars with activities during this time, but that can be exhausting! As an introvert, being around people (even family) drains me. I need to do something for myself! Here are some tips and self-care gift ideas to remind you to take care of yourself.